Some Historic Black Churches and Cemeteries in Washington, DCChurches, Full Listing
African Methodist Episcopal
Metropolitan A.M.E. Church1518 M. St. NW
Founded 1854 by breakaway congregations from two earlier churches: Israel Bethel A.M.E. and Union Bethel A.M.E. Now Nat. Hq. of A.M.E. Church
John Wesley A.M.E. Church1615 14th St., NW
Church built in 1850's
First Colored Baptist Church(site at 19th and Eye, NW)
In 1833, this congregation took over this site, which originally had been occupied by DC's First Baptist congregation. 1871 through 1975, the Nineteenth St. Baptist Church was based here until it was demolished to make way for office development.
Shiloh Baptist1500 9th St., NW
Congregation established in 1862 in various temporary facilities by congregation which migrated en masse from Fredericksburg, VA. Permanent building built 1924.
St. Augustine's1419 V St., NW
Oldest black Catholic congregation in Washington. Founded in 1858, first permanent building was built 1867. In 1961, congregation merged with St. Paul's, which had been on the V St., site since 1898.
St. Luke's1514 15th St., NW
Built in 1879, is one of the oldest remaining church buildings built for a black congregation.
St. Mary's728-730 23rd St., NW
built 1886 for black Episcopalians from two other congregations, Church of the Epiphany and St.John's Lafayette Sq., Architect, James Renwick
Washington, DC 20001-4488
Asbury was established in 1836 when a small group of "Negro" worshippers elected to leave Foundry Methodist Church on 16th Street, in NW Washington, DC. The congregation is currently in its 166th year of continuous ministry. The Church which is included in both The District of Columbia Inventory of Historical Sites and The National Registry of Historical Places, is located on its original site in downtown Washington, DC at the corner of 11th & K Streets, NW.
Ebenezer United Methodist4th and D St., SE
oldest black church on Capitol Hill. Built 1838, rebuilt 1897
Mount Zion United Methodist Church1334 29th St., NW
Established in 1816. Oldest known church in DC started by and for black people, was part of Underground Railway
Land purchased in 1808 by Montgomery Street Methodist Church (now Dumbarton United Methodist ). Two-thirds was set aside for white burials, the other third for African-American burials. White burials continued in the property until after the Civil War, although decreased after Oak Hill opened in 1849. Several white graves were disinterred and moved between 1849 and 1892; most of those were buried at Oak Hill. In 1879, Mount Zion leased the cemetery from Dumbarton for 99 years. African-American members of Mount Zion were buried in the remaining available sections and in the plots left open by the white disinterments. The last burial was in 1950.
Fifteenth Street Presbyterian Church1705 Fifteenth St., NW
Historic early African American congregation, established in 1841. The noted abolitionist, Grimke, was the pastor here. Moved to present building in 1979, a former Christian Science Church built in 1918.